International Fries Day? Yes, you heard right – an entire day dedicated to the ever-humble but always golden and delicious, fries! Frankly, any excuse will do.
Whether you prefer shoestring or hand-cut, loaded or with a simple sprinkle of salt– we’ve listed our top 5 places to get your fill of fries in Melbourne today.
Sonny’s Fried Chicken & Burgers, Carlton:
Located in Carlton - inside renowned Melbourne live music venue, The John Curtin Hotel (The Curtin), Sonny's Fried Chicken and Burgers offer southern influenced traditional American Food. Paying homage to the Mom and Pop Chicken Joints of the States and every bit as tasty, Sonny's is all about good, simple, hearty food, cooked to perfection.
Specialising in comfort food, they offer four different types of fries and loaded fries:
- Load 'Em Up Loaded Fries ($15): Crispy Fries Loaded W/ Cheese Sauce, House Made Gravy And Crispy Bacon
- Vegan Loaded Fries ($15): Crispy Fries Loaded W/ Vegan Gravy, Pickles, Pickled Onions & Spring Onions
- Guacamole Cheese Fries ($13): Cheese Sauce, Guacamole, Jalapenos
- Fries ($6): A Big Ol' Serve Of Crispy Fries
Our recommendation: We can’t go past the Guacamole Cheese Fries
B.East Burgers, Brunswick East and Fitzroy:
The B.East is not just a burger joint, but a bar and live music venue in the heart of Brunswick East and a more recently opened, Fitzroy location too.
Whilst they specialise in burgers, we’d pop down for their fries alone and with four options, you can’t go wrong:
- Beer Battered Fries ($4.50 / $8.50): Crispy Beer Battered Fries With House Seasoning (Vegan)
- Poutine ($12.50): Fries, Bacon Bone Gravy & Shredded Jack Cheddar
- Chilli Cheese ($12.50): Large Fries Topped With Chilli Cheese Sauce
- Death Star Fries ($12.50): Large Fries Topped With Bacon Bone Gravy, Chilli Cheese Sauce & Dark Beer Hot Sauce
Our recommendation: Poutine and a pint = perfect
Dribbles Burgers, Essendon and Geelong:
Anyone who is a lover of both Burgers and Basketball is sure to know Dribbles Burgers and, if you don’t, you should- their loaded fries are epic!
With two options to choose from, Dribbles may just become your new local go-to:
- Cheese and Bacon Fries ($10): Crunchy Fries, Cheese Sauce, Crispy Bacon & Spring Onions
- Chilli Cheese Fries ($10): Crunchy Fries, Chilli Beef, Jalapeños, Cheese Sauce & Spring Onions
Our recommendation: Chilli Cheese Fries (for those who can handle the heat!)
Chooks and Chips, Kew:
Chooks and Chips specialise in two things – Chicken and Chips and they are always cooked to perfection. We can never go past their perfectly seasoned, crunchy chips when we’re in the area (with a side of gravy of course!)
- Chips ($3.90 – 10.50)
- Sweet Potato Chips ($7.00 - $10.00
- Side of gravy ($2.00 - $4.00)
Our recommendation: Pulled Chicken served with chips, mozzarella cheese, and gravy.
Fried Hustle, Preston:
Fried Hustle is a simple, delicious and thoughtful foodie heaven located on buzzing High Street. We think they may just do the best-loaded fries around – with options from Cheeseburger Loaded, Hawaiian BBQ Loaded, plus their infamous classic loaded poutine, all with vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options.
- Poutine ($12): Signature Fries Topped With Mozzarella Cheese Curd, Gravy And Spring Onions
- Cheeseburger Loaded Fries ($16): Signature Fries Topped With All Things Cheeseburger, 100% Beef Patty, Kosher Pickles, Chopped Onions, Tomato Ketchup, Hustle Comeback Sauce, And Melty American Cheese
- Loco BBQ Chicken Fries ($16): Signature Fries Topped With Marinated Chicken Breast, Smokey BBQ & Honey Mustard Sauces, Grilled Pineapple And Pretty Pink House-Made Pickled Onions
Our recommendation: Cheeseburger Loaded Fries are a MUST try!
We'd love to hear your local recommendations - head to our Instagram page to let us know your favourites.